I was in Port Orchard last weekend visiting my sister and she passed on a brownie recipe - along with the following email from her friend Brianna. I can totally relate! How about you?
Hi fellow mamas,
Do you ever have those days when the amount of beauty bark in house rivals the amount outside? Or you've just done the back-breaking labor of shampooing all of your carpets when it's 90 degrees outside, only to see marionberry footprints in every single room only 24 hours later!? So you yell at the dog and the kid, only to realize that it's your running shoe with the berry embedded in it? That has been my day...
So, to make up for my frustrations towards the littlest in my house, and to make a treat for me during nap time...what better to do than make brownies! I thought I'd share my favorite healthy (yes, really!) brownie recipe. The secret ingredients fool my family every time!
3 oz. semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup carrot puree
1/2 cup spinach puree
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 Tbsp. butter/margarine softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Preheat over to 350. Coat an 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
2. Melt chocolate in double broiler or microwave.
3. In large bowl, combine melted chocolate, vegetable purees, sugar, cocoa powder, butter and vanilla. Whisk until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Whisk in egg whites. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Pour batter in pan and bake for 35 - 40 minutes. Make sure to cool completely in pan before cutting and serving. In you eat them warm, you will taste the spinach!
My daughter Jenica, who is almost 11 months old, loved these and it was a great way to sneak some pureed veggies into her diet since she's not big on being spoon fed much anymore these days. Even my husband liked them, especially with a dollop of frosting on top! Yes, I know...that kind of takes away from the "healthy" factor a little but at least it still allows me to make one recipe for the family that we can ALL enjoy! If you try these, let me know what you think.