Thursday, July 16, 2009

Aprons, Aprons, Everywhere!

I've started reading a couple fun cooking blogs, and stumbled across this idea today on one of the sites. The assignment: Post a picture and a story about your apron on your blog site.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to write about the one and only apron that I own. It was a gift from my Aunt Ann; She handmade them for all her nieces and nephews about 10 years ago. Not only are they quite sturdy and very well made, but each one has family recipes sewn right onto the apron. Mine has my Great-Grandma's famous "dirty bread" recipe, along with recipes for peanut brittle, soft pretzels, popcorn balls and liver pate.
Some are in my own handwriting from when I was little, some are in my mother's handwriting and some are in what I believe is my Grandma Casler's handwriting. Hey Cousins! If any of you are reading this I'd love to hear what recipes ended up on your aprons! I have consulted the bread recipe on a number of occasions and attempted the peanut brittle once. I'm not sure if I'll ever be brave enough to try the liver pate... But the point is, every time I put the apron on to cook something I'm reminded of my wonderful family who unfortunately do not live close enough for me to see on a regular basis, but because of my Aunt's thoughtfulness and time so many years ago, I can "wear" a part of them every time I decide to get down and dirty in the kitchen (which has seemed to be happening more and more lately now that I'm more of a stay at home mommy than career woman).

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share this story. Here's a picture of the apron...sorry I'm not wearing it. My husband is at work which leaves no one to take the picture except me. Maybe tomorrow I can update this with another photo :)

5 comments:

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing with us Shay. Your Aunt was a smart woman I think. That is a keepsake I would love to have too.

And congrats on your 10!!! It's a tough climb back into your body. :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful apron and memory you have. Julia is right, your Aunt was a very smart and caring woman

Jennifer said...

What a great apron ... your aunt is awesome! This is giving me some ideas for future apron gifts ... thanks for sharing!

Suzi said...

How sweet is that? That is an incredible keepsake. I love it!

Joi said...

What a treasure and a great ideas for passing down recipes :)